Tuesday, June 22

Returned

We're back in 'the Springs' now. We were planning on powering through the night, but ultimately we didn't have the pull through power needed and ended up stopping in Wichita, KS instead. (And might I note the Northern-most Best Western in Wichita is mega nice.) We slept for a couple of hours (5) had breakfast and headed out again. (We took the North route because our additional driver wanted to see some of his old stomping grounds, so we obliged.) We got home around 4:30 something this afternoon. It's been a long four days of driving and doctors. And I still don't have my voice back.

Let me update you, with a little more detail, about some of the trip: Doctor's visit went pretty well. They all seemed pretty nice and very "international". (People from all over the world seem to be working there) It sounds like I will probably get into the study, but the day we were there (Monday) one of the participants had been admitted to the hospital and if it had anything to do with the drugs then they can't accept new people, but the doctor assumed it was because of his "sickness" that he went into the hospital, not the drugs. So we have to wait until the end of the week or so to get information on if I am in or not. IF I get into the study I am looking at one treatment of two kinds of drugs once a week for two months as "two rounds". They they evaluate me and see how everything is going. I will be the sixth person in this trial if I get in. Surprisingly enough they have another person already in the study who has the same type of cancer that I have (!!!) and the doctor was telling us that after "two rounds" the cancer has shown a complete shut-down. Which is really exciting. However I am a different person than them, and I have yet to get into the study. So lets keep praying. I should have more details by the end of the week.

Another "eventful" thing that happened was we hit, what seemed to be, a rather large piece of tire rubber in the road. It strongly dented the right side of our bumper and tore up some of the linning on the lower side of the car. (Sounded like we were running over a boulder when we hit it) Initial quotes put repair at almost 900 bucks. Needless to say I will be getting the insurance company involved in this one. (And with deductible this will STILL be cheaper than flying last minute...)

I'll be poking around housing situations in Houston as well. And trying to figure out what to do with our place here too. The study is supposed to go on "indefinitely", so while we could at least schedule two months at first I am really not sure what we are looking at here. I really am not a fan of moving to Houston on a more permeant basis. (Sorry friends who live in Houston now or did at some point. Lisa and I are not big fans of heat.)

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to get to them in future posts, or suggestions, etc. We'll be needing it over the next few weeks I imagine. Thanks for the continued prayer support!

~B.

2 comments:

  1. Aubrey3:16 PM

    Wow, Ben. I'm SOOOOO hoping that this works out well. Both with getting in the trial and your housing situation. Please let me know if there's ANYTHING we can do long distance (besides pray, which we're doing all the time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have any friends/ family in Houston that might know of a good place to stay that would be great. =)

    Either way, thanks for the support. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***